August 10, 2015

Sunrise Elephant Safari in Zimbabwe | An African Adventure

On our last morning, just before our long journey back to the United States, we signed up for a sunrise elephant back safari! It was the perfect way to end such an epic trip in Africa. Before the safari began, the elephants lined up at the edge of the deck and we were able to meet with all of them, pet them and familiarize ourselves with each one. A few baby elephants tagged along on the safari, because some day, they will be taking guests through the bush as well! I'm not sure if I'll ever be so close to an elephant again, it was truly a remarkable experience that I will never forget.


This elephant's name is Jack and he was massive!


I chose to ride Janet, who you'll see shortly, but this is her first baby! He was just big enough to see over the edge of the deck. And by 'big enough', he was already taller than me, which isn't saying much...


Above is Izibulo and she was the elephant my sister chose to ride.


Hi, Janet! Janet is 29, and I was told, the most unruly of all the elephants. She behaved quite well during my visit though.


Remember Jack from earlier? Here he is again. Elephants constantly eat, so throughout the safari, they'd stop to rip branches off trees, or sometimes they'd rip entire trees out of the ground, and just carry it with them to munch on.


The elephant in the front of the frame is Janet's son, and behind that is Alyssa on Izibulo!




Sydney (my guide), Janet and me!



Once the safari is over, they guides line the elephants up for a salute!


Janet saluting!


After saluting, the elephants stepped up to the fence and we fed them treats! I was too busy feeding them to take any pictures, but you grab as big of a handful as you can muster, step up to the elephant and say, "trunk up!". If you're tall enough, you throw your handful directly into their mouths! There is also a "trunk down" method, which is easier with the large elephants, like Jack above. In that case, you dump the pellets into their trunk and they feed themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment